Avoid Fraudulent Classifieds
We receive hundreds of classifieds daily and while we do review every ad for content, we are unable to catch all scams or fraudulent offers. The transactions on nlbuysell.com are between the buyer and the seller. So you, the buyer or seller, are usually the best person to find these frauds/scams.
Please be aware of scam artists that use email to take advantage of free services such as our online classifieds. If something sounds suspicious or too good to be true, it probably is. Here are some helpful hints to avoid being caught in a scam:
- Deal with local people you can meet in person and/or by a local phone number. This will help avoid scam artists that exploit the Internet.
- Never give out financial information (bank account number, social security number, eBay/PayPal info, etc.).
- Never wire funds (via Western Union, MoneyGram or other wire service).
- Watch out for fraudulent cashier's checks and/or money orders.
- Beware when payment is required up front or when you are asked to return money to the buyer. Example: If your item price is $100 and a buyer says they will send you a check for $500 and ask you to mail them the difference - this is a scam. Do not comply and avoid this buyer.
- Scammers will often "guarantee" a transaction - this is common in fraudulent deals.
- Be cautious of buyers who are working for a "Client" - again deal only with people you can meet with in person or trust.
- Be cautious of emails with spelling errors, grammar problems, or inconsistent information. It may originate from outside the country.
- nlbuysell.com is not involved in any transaction. We are not involved with shipping, payment or any other part of your transaction with a buyer or seller.
- Use common sense. Think carefully about the information you give to a buyer or seller.
We welcome information about fraudulent classifieds. If you see a classified that falls into one of the following categories:
- Ads selling illegal, prohibited, or suspect items.
- Ads which do not accurately represent what is being sold.
- Sellers who ask you to send money outside the US or Canada (Western Union, BidPay, etc).
- Buyers who ask you to ship outside the US or Canada.
- Sellers/Buyers who you believe are acting suspiciously or unprofessionally or other suspicious activity.
Please report the classified to nlbuysell.com by clicking on the red "Mark as Inappropriate" button, or contact us directly. We will investigate the classified and remove it if necessary.
Internet crime schemes that steal millions of dollars each year from victims continue to plague the Internet through various methods. Following are terms that will assist you in being informed prior to entering into transactions over the Internet:
- Auction Fraud
- Counterfeit Cashier's Check
- Credit Card Fraud
- Debt Elimination
- Employment/Business Opportunities
- Escrow Services Fraud
- Identity Theft
- Internet Extortion
- Investment Fraud
- Nigerian Letter or "419"
- Third Party Receiver of Funds